Seeing the world in Transitions™
The smart lens that’s getting brighter
Call it the “out-of-the-shadows shuffle;” that moment after leaving a darkened room and entering the light when we slow down, squint and try to catch our visual bearings.
Transitions™ lenses, which are made with technology designed to automatically adjust to light, are science’s answer to this conundrum. Since their introduction in 1991,1 these adaptive photochromic lenses have served as a trusted ally for the naked eye.
And they keep getting better.
How to Transition
Transitions™ are akin to artificial intelligence for the eyes — with real results. The lenses are equipped with light-sensitive photochromic dyes that immediately start to darken when exposed to the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Once out of the sun, the lenses fade back to clear.2
The technology is available in several options, including Transitions™ Signature®, for everyday adjustment and use. The latest generation of this lens, called GEN 8™, is faster and can get darker than earlier versions.3
Transitions™ XTRActive® are another new generation of lenses designed for individuals who are sensitive to light, or are frequently in bright light. New powerful dyes and an exclusive nanocomposite matrix power Transitions™ XTRActive® lenses to provide wearers with the best extra darkness and the best extra light protection.4
5 technologies see the light
Since Transitions™ were first introduced, the technology has steadily evolved, enabling the lenses to better adjust to our on-the-move needs. Here are 5 ways they help us control light.
- A cool finish. Transitions™ technology is available in a variety of shades, from gray or brown to style colors such as amethyst or emerald, and a range of finishes, including shatterproof polycarbonate and polarization .3
- They offer complete light protection. Thanks to its breakthrough technology, Transitions™ brings its wearers a unique light management solution. They are well equipped to manage all types and intensities of light exposure in their daily life.2
- They’re kid friendly. The average child gets 3 times the UV exposure as adults because their light-sensitive natural lenses (behind the iris) are not fully developed.2 Transitions™ can help prevent more light from entering their eyes.
- You don’t have to have an Rx. Transitions™ lenses can be made without prescriptions (they’re called plano lenses). Ask your eye professional but note they may not be covered by a vision benefit.
- They are wherever you are. Transitions™ are available at both in-store retailers and online retailers.1
Transitions™ lenses help you stay on the move by eliminating the shadow-to-light (and light-to-shadow) shuffle. That’s smart for your eyes, and smart for your looks. See for yourself – check out the Transitions™ Virtual Try-On Tool. Choosing the right smart lens does require a full medical assessment of your vision, however. Your physician can suggest the best lens options with you, to suit your lifestyle and visual needs.
This article is an advertisement.
- “Transitions: About the brand, style options and benefits”, All About Vision, April 2022, https://www.allaboutvision.com/eyewear/eyeglasses/transitions-lenses/.
- “Transitions: Light Under Control”, Essilor, 2021, https://www.essilorusa.com/products/transitions.
- “Transitions Signature Gen 8”, Transitions, 2022, https://www.transitions.com/en-us/products/transitions-signature/.
- “Transitions XTRActive”, Transitions, 2022, https://www.transitions.com/en-us/products/transitions-xtractive/.