Goodbye snow and hello spring. What better way to celebrate the long, warm days than with the season’s bounty in an apple and carrot salad. Fresh, crisp, refreshing – and good for your eyes too. This springtime medley is bursting with vitamins such as vitamins A and C to keep your eyes as fresh as a daisy helping to prevent the risk of developing cataracts1 and vision loss2. Just like flowers need water, your eyes need Vitamin A to keep them nourished and properly hydrated3. Eat up and see life to the fullest.
Time: 30 minutes
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Eye healthy ingredients: Apples, carrots
2 Tbsp honey
1½ Tbsp walnut oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Medium green apple
1 Medium red apple
3 Large carrots (or 1 large carrot and 2 cups shredded carrots)
2-4 Leaves of cabbage (2 cups)
1-2 Radish thinly sliced
4 Tbsp raisins
2 Tbsp dried cranberries
¼ Cup Walnuts
¼ Cup Sliced almonds
1 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
⅛ tsp Chia seeds
- In a small bowl combine honey, oil and lemon juice and whisk together.
- In a small skillet, drizzle about a teaspoon of oil. Toast walnuts and almonds over medium heat for 1-2 minutes tossing them frequently for an even toasting. Remove from pan and chop into smaller pieces. Set aside to cool.
- Peel one apple in a circular motion and set to side for garnish. Core both apples and slice into thin bite-size strips.
- Peel one carrot using the vegetable y-peeler to create long, thin ribbon strips, set to side for garnish. Chop/grate the other two carrots into bit strips.
- Breaking a few leaves off of the cabbage chop them into bite-size strips.
- Combine apple, carrots, cabbage and dressing in a large bowl. Mix together until fully coated.
- Garnish with; roasted nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, radish slices, carrot ribbons, and apple peel. Sprinkle with chia seeds, cinnamon and dressing. Enjoy!